Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Are Hidden Calories Sabotaging Your Fat Loss Goals?

In my training business, I have the pleasure of training married couples. Sometimes they train together and sometimes they come in at different times because they know they wouldn't be able to workout together without annoying one another (or me).

I've also had the opportunity to work with mother/daughter duos. Again sometimes they train together and sometimes not.

However I learn the most about the other when they don't train together. Not that I pry and try to wrestle out deep, dark secrets. Maybe I do sometimes as a form of bribery for the future, but not often.

But I learn a lot about the other's eating habits, entirely by accident. I don't ask, it just comes out through normal conversation.

What I find is that the other half of the duo is not entirely truthful with me.

Sometimes it's on purpose, but most of the time it's just an oversight.

People forget about certain parts of their daily diet.

They neglect to tell me that in addition to their morning eggs and toast, they put a lot of sugary jelly on the toast. Or that they drink 4 cups of coffee that are loaded with heavy creamer or sugar.

Again, I don't think my clients lie to me, I just think they don't realize what they're eating and how it can affect their waist line.

I call these things "hidden calories."

Hidden calories include things like jellies, sauces, salad dressings, juices, adding sugar to coffee or teas, etc.

They are things that seem minor, but can add up to hundreds of calories very quickly and if it's a habit to do them every day, that adds up to lots of fat over the weeks, months and years.

Do you have any hidden calories?

Do you put ketchup on every single bite of food?

Do you add a couple scoops of sugar to your morning cups of coffee?

Do you add salad dressing by the scoopful to your otherwise healthy salad, turning it into a calorie bomb?

Maybe you like to have a bagel for breakfast or for a mid-morning snack. That's all fine and dandy until you realize that most store-bought bagels are loaded with calories, the majority of them highly processed carbohydrates that will send your blood sugars through the roof, then send you crashing back to earth, only to be hungrier than before.

Maybe you eat perfectly all day (uh-huh, sure you do) only to succumb to a bowl of ice cream or cereal before bed. Bam! There's a few hundred worthless calories right there.

My point is that these hidden calories will add up...quickly. They will add up in the form of fat around your waist, on your butt or giving you a little more jiggle than you're comfortable with. Or, they'll just de-rail your otherwise healthy eating plan and stop your fat loss dead in its tracks.

Your assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to find these hidden calories and get rid of them (sorry, I watched Mission impossible the other day). Or at least greatly reduce them so they're no longer a factor in your fat loss.

Get rid of the sauces.

Cut your salad dressing in half.

Cut the sugar and cream out of your coffee.

Drink brewed green tea rather than the store bought kind that doesn't have all the health benefits anyway.

Think about what yours are and fix them.

Have a good day!

Ed

No comments: