Friday, June 6, 2008

Happy National Donut Day!

I’m not kidding. Today is National Donut Day here in America.

Does anybody wonder why 60% of this country is overweight or obese?

In the art of full disclosure, the day did start out with good intentions. It was for fundraising during World War 1, but if memory serves that war ended a couple years ago.

Now I like my donuts as much as the next person, but they are quite possibly one of the worst foods on the planet.

You take overly processed grain (white flour), deep fat fry it and then cover it in lots and lots and lots of sugary coatings and maybe even add a few sprinkles for good measure.

Then there are the other kinds of donuts that get stuffed full of sugary jelly or fatty creams. I could go on and on describing all the different kinds of donuts, but it would just make me hungry.

You should never eat donuts. They will do nothing but make you fat.

In fact I’m going to go out on a limb and tell you that you will gain 5 pounds for every donut you eat. That’s not true, but I want that to be stuck in your head the next time you decide to eat a donut.

The tough thing is that a lot of companies put boxes of donuts in their breakrooms for their employees to snack on.

And we wonder why our health insurance rates are sky high.

That’s it for my soap box preaching today.

Have a good weekend and please, for the love of God, don’t take part in National Donut Day.

Ed

2 comments:

Abby said...

I love donuts as much as anyone, but they are the work of the devil! I agree that in theory you shouldn't eat them, but a couple times a year, I just gotta have one!

The Fit Dad said...

I hear ya Abby!

I love donuts too, but only have them once or twice a year.

Something so tasty shouldn't be bad for you, should it?

Ed